Mito Patient & Family Socials
Mito Patient & Family Socials offer a free and fun opportunity for patients & families to connect in person.
We have heard many people express their desire to meet other Mito families in their communities. Our Mito Patient & Family Socials can help you make those connections. These low-key, relaxed gatherings allow Mito families to meet each other, share stories, give and get support, and realize they're not alone on this difficult journey. We want to help you get support closer to home, and are hopeful that a Mito Social will offer just that. Consider hosting or attending a Social!
Upcoming Mito Socials
(RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Click here to read a Lynn Item article about the Lynn, MA Mito Social.
Would you like to host a Mito Social?
It's easy! Here's what the host will do:
- Secure space for the Social, such as a hospital, church basement, community center, or school, and set a date.
- Buy snacks and beverages for the event using a stipend from MitoAction.
- Take care of the day-of setup and cleanup.
- Send MitoAction photos of your Social, your sign-in sheet, and your receipts.
Here's what MitoAction will do:
- Send email invitations to Mito patients and families in your area.
- Manage the RSVPs.
- Provide a stipend for snacks and beverages.
- Provide sign-in sheets, name tags, and Mito materials to have available at your event.
- Post photos and a write-up of your Social on our Facebook page.
For more information or to sign up to host, contact Ginger at email@example.com
A word from Social host Lauri Bammann!
In 2011 I had the opportunity to host a MitoAction Social in Atlanta, GA. My children, 8 and 9 years old at the time, were asking great questions about Mito: Who has Mito, do they look like me? I was reassured that it would be a stress-free opportunity to meet other Mito families. Ginger organized everything for me! Our family has had the opportunity to meet wonderful families that "look" just like us. My family and attendees left the Social knowing they have a community of Mito friends who are going through similar challenges, experiences, and celebrations. Gina Gareau-Clark, executive director of Dare to Hope Foundation and a Mito social parent, created a MitoAction Georgia Facebook for our Georgia families. It has been so amazing to meet so many Mito families in Georgia and to be able to communicate and share information and support. I'm very thankful to Ginger and MitoAction for making this opportunity possible!
Previous Mito Socials
- April 13, 2011: Cook Children's Hospital, Fort Worth, TX. Hosted by Amanda McLanahan
- April 23, 2011: Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (GA) at Egleston. Hosted by Lauri Bammann
- July 23, 2011: West Cobb Regional Library, Kennesaw, GA. Hosted by Lauri Bammann
- July 29, 2011: Mel Cohen Conference Center @ Phoenix (AZ) Children's Hospital. Hosted by Gina Blair
- Aug. 27, 2011: Real Life Family Center, Tacoma, WA. Hosted by Angie Woods.
- Oct. 30, 2011: West Barnstable Community Building, West Barnstable, MA. Hosted by Lisa and Doug Terry.
- Nov. 5, 2011: Northwest Family YMCA, Kennesaw, GA. Hosted by Lauri Bammann.
- Dec. 2, 2011: 625 St. Charles Place, Fayetteville, GA. Hosted by Kaye Jabren.
- Feb. 25, 2012: Memorial Hermann Hospital, Katy, Texas. Hosted by Kristi Wees.
- Feb. 26, 2012: My Gym Children's Fitness Center, Brewer, ME. Hosted by Karen Kohlmeyer.
- April 9, 2012: Morning Star Lutheran Church, Omaha, NE. Hosted by Cindy Ruby and Carolee Parsons
- May 14, 2012: Morning Star Lutheran Church, Omaha, NE. Hosted by Cindy Ruby and Carolee Parsons
- May 26, 2012: Memorial Hermann Southeast, Houston, TX. Hosted by Kristi Wees
- June 9, 2012: Robert E. Smith Branch (New Orleans Public Library), New Orleans, LA. Hosted by Gigi Bourgeois
- Sept. 22, 2012: Memorial Hermann, Memorial City Medical Center, Houston, TX. Hosted by Kristi Wees
- Dec. 15, 2012: The Floortime Center, Bethesda, MD. Hosted by Andrea Smith
- Feb. 16, 2013: Christopher's Cafe, Lynn, MA. Hosted by Elaine Chittick
- Feb. 21, 2013: Cafe Piquet Cuban Restaurant, Bellaire, TX. Hosted by Ricardo Cruz-Rivera. For a flyer on the Social and Charity Night, click here.
- Feb. 23, 2013:The Floortime Center, Bethesda, MD. Hosted by Andrea Smith
- March 8, 2013: Esic Center at the Edwardsville YMCA, Edwardsville, IL. Hosted by Linda Wiemers
- April 20, 2013: 1-3 p.m. Courtyard San Diego-Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, San Diego, CA. Hosted by Christine Ryberg
- May 11, 2013: 1-3 p.m. Attleboro Library, Attelboro, MA. Hosted by Julie Gortze.
- May 18, 2013: 2-5 p.m. Newtown Park Community Center, Johns Creek, GA. Hosted by Leigh-Catarina Eworonsky.