Marcel’s Way Family Fund of MitoAction
Marcel’s Way was founded in 2003 by a group of “Mito Mothers” who came together because they saw that families needed information, education, and support to live as normal a life as possible with their newly diagnosed children suffering from mitochondrial disorders. In 2005, Marcel’s Way launched the Marcel’s Way Family Fund to help families cover the extra expenses they faced to care for their children. Grants were made to assist with the high cost of medications, services, and medical equipment. In 2011, MitoAction agreed to carry on the legacy of the Marcel’s Way Family Fund by offering a grants-based family assistance program.
Recently, MitoAction was awarded the Continuity of Care RARE Patient Impact Grant from Global Genes to benefit the Marcel’s Way Family Fund. This grant allows us to offer financial assistance for expenses accrued to members of the mito community as a result of COVID-19. Guidelines are slightly different than that of our regular Marcel’s Way Family Fund grants and can be found below.
To provide financial assistance for expenses accrued to those who are affected by mitochondrial disease as a result of COVID-19.
Patients and families of patients living within the United States with a mitochondrial disorder will be eligible to apply for grants. There is no income eligibility to apply. The Marcel’s Way COVID-19 Relief Fund application does not affect eligibility for Marcel’s Way Family Fund in the future, and past recipients of Marcel’s Way Funds may apply for the Marcel’s Way COVID-19 Relief Fund.
Grants will be no more than $2,500 and will be awarded, based on need, to families who are struggling financially with costs associated with mitochondrial disease.
Expenses are limited to those NOT covered by insurance and could include:
- Telehealth visits
- Travel or housing costs for families while patients are receiving treatment away from home
- Costs for special equipment, services or supplies
- Costs of modifying a home, vehicle or workspace
- Costs of respite care or suitable recreational activities
- Complete application.
- Provide Reference Letter. Arrange for one letter of reference to be sent directly to MitoAction on your behalf from a physician who will confirm your mitochondrial diagnosis and the benefit for which funds are being requested.
- Application Processed. MitoAction will confirm receipt of application and notify Applicant if any additional information is required.
- Decision. MitoAction will notify Applicant of its decision, upon review by MitoAction and the Marcel’s Way Family Fund Review Committee.
- Reporting. All grantees are required to provide documentation of usage of funds. Funds should only be used for the purpose in which they were requested.