The Matthew Harty Scholarship was established in 2015 to honor the life of Matthew Harty, a North Andover, MA, boy who passed away from mitochondrial disease just days after his 8th birthday.
The Matthew Harty Scholarship will be awarded to a high school seniors or currently enrolled college students with a diagnosis of mitochondrial disease. The student may apply by completing the attached application and writing a one-page essay. The essay must include how the money will be used to either further their educational studies or how it may be used to lessen the burden on managing their affliction to achieve their educational goals.
Matthew, the son of Sarah and Paul Harty, was an amazing little boy whose legacy will live on through these scholarship recipients.
- Must be a high school senior or currently enrolled college student.
- Transcript and enrollment verification required.
- Must include a letter of support from a physician or other healthcare provider who can verify the mitochondrial disease diagnosis and address the merit of the applicant.
- One-page essay required.
- Photo required with submission.
- Applications will open on January 1, 2020 for the upcoming year.
- The application deadline for the 2020-2021 school year is May 31, 2020.
- Email completed application to email@example.com.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have shown a history of community service and demonstrated an ability to inspire others by overcoming the obstacles presented by their diagnosis.
- Preference will be given to first-time applicants, but we welcome previous recipients to apply.
- The award recipients will be invited to attend a MitoAction event and may be asked to serve as a mentor to another student.