The Matthew Harty Scholarship was established in 2015 to honor the life of Matthew Harty, a North Andover, MA, boy who passed away from mitochondrial disease just days after his 8th birthday.
The Matthew Harty Scholarship will be awarded to high school seniors or currently enrolled college students with a diagnosis of mitochondrial disease. Students may apply by completing the online application (click “apply” to access the application) and writing a one-page essay. The essay must include how the money will be used to either further their educational studies or how it may be used to lessen the burden on managing their affliction to achieve their educational goals.
Matthew, the son of Sarah and Paul Harty, was an amazing little boy whose legacy will live on through these scholarship recipients.
Details & Contact Information
- Address – PO Box 310, Novi, MI 48376
- Phone – 888-MITOACTION (648-6228)
- Fax – 888-MITOACTION (648-6228)
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website – www.mitoaction.org/scholarship
- Deadline – 6/15/21
- Maximum Award – $2,500
- Must be a high school senior or currently enrolled college student
- Must include a letter of support from physician or healthcare provider who can verify the mitochondrial disease diagnosis
- Must include photo with submission
- Essay required – must address the following question: How will the Matthew Harty Scholarship help you succeed in college, and how has mitochondrial disease affected your life and your education in a way that can help you to be a source of inspiration to others struggling with the disease?