What Can I Do?
Together, we're changing day to day lives through education, support, and advocacy. Raising funds and awareness is a crucial part of this effort. You can make a difference and, at MitoAction, we are behind you every step of the way.
Be a part of our giving program on eBay. You can shop, sell, or donate on behalf of MitoAction! (We are listed under Mitochondrial Disease Action Committee.)
Steps to Making a Difference:
- Give your time and talents to the Awareness & Advocacy Committee. Join in on the next meeting, every 2nd Tuesday of the month at 10:00 a.m. Eastern time. To join, dial toll-free 866-414-2828, participant code 017921 (international callers: we suggest using Skype to make the call, and then hold for an operator and give the code to join the call).
- Write your state representatives to inform them about Mitochondrial Disease Awareness Week.
- Find your local Representative and Senator.
- Follow MitoAction's Roadmap to Awareness, and download a sample letter as a guide.
- Post the 2012 Awareness week press release in your community, and ask your local media (radio, TV, newspapers) to participate in Mito awareness by running a story about mito awareness.
- Hand out MitoAction brochures to your doctors, teachers, nurses, therapists, family and friends.
- Print out these postcards that explain Mito and hand them out. (Use Avery Postcards #8387 or Staples Postcards #14635)
- Write down your ideas and submit a project proposal to the MitoAction Board of Directors. Every year we fund several projects that are proposed by our members - parents, patients, and family all affected by Mito.
- Submit your letter that others can use advocating for Mito patients. Help us to make the voices of those who are affected heard.
- Create an awareness and fundraising webpage by joining as a walker (or virtual walker) for our annual walk. Email the page to everyone in your address book. You may be surprised at how many people express their gratitude in knowing how to help.
- Download this Mito Man coloring sheet!
Thank you for your support!