During a time when families with children with mitochondrial disease may face accusations of medical child abuse or munchausen’s by proxy, it is incredibly important to advocate responsibly and communicate effectively. Guest speaker Mannie Taimuty-Loomis, MA, LBS and Executive Director of the Jonah & The Whale Foundation, Inc. discusses:
- What is medical child abuse? Munchausen’s by proxy? What are the criteria for these allegations?
- What is mandatory reporting, who must comply, and what is the process?
- What are the rights of the parents, family members and other caregivers as well as the healthcare providers when a child is suspected to be a victim of medical child abuse?
- How can parents be great advocates without creating dissonance?
- What are the tried and true recommendations for balancing multiple specialists and complex medical conditions?