Dr Fran Kendall is a Harvard-trained board-certified Clinical Biochemical Geneticist who founded the very first clinical mitochondrial disease program in the United States in the early 1990s. Over her 25-plus-year career specializing in Metabolic, Mitochondrial, and Inherited Disorders, she:
- founded one of the first commercial laboratories focused on rare metabolic and mitochondrial disorders;
- was the head of genetics for a large hospital system in Atlanta;
- co-founded a mitochondrial foundation that is still very active;
- pioneered telemedicine and private practice in rare genetics by founding VMP Genetics;
- authored chapters on mitochondrial medicine for medical texts and numerous research articles;
- lectures at medical schools and nursing schools on these disorders;
- is a frequent guest speaker at medical conferences on mitochondrial disease and autism;
- often acts as an expert witness in Federal court cases;
- and has appeared on national news outlets to offer expert opinion.
She currently sees children and adults patients from around the world in either her VMP Genetics clinic in Atlanta, GA or by telemedicine and has over 20,000 fans of her medical Facebook site.