How are cyclic vomiting syndrome, depression, migraines, chronic pain and more related to mitochondrial function?
Dr. Richard Boles from Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles discusses the research surrounding functional disorders and mitochondrial disease.
This discussion will dig into questions that are relevant to patients, parents and family members, such as:
- What does the term “functional disorder” mean?
- Why is there often a history of chronic pain or illness in families with mitochondrial disease?
- How are mitochondrial functional disorders and symptoms inherited, and how do genetics relate to chronic symptoms of pain, fatigue, vomiting and depression?
- How does autism, ADHD, and SIDS relate to mitochondrial dysfunction?
- Are there any differences in treatment approaches for these conditions in families who have a mitochondrial disease diagnosis already?